|I Bombard you with Christian Ideology in Artform
||[Aug. 12th, 2004|03:38 pm]
World Religion Discussion
Ok... Take a good look at this and tell me what you see:|
I'm sorry, it's quite large isn't it?"
Ok... from what I can tell of this painting, there are a couple major things going on.
1. St Franciss (the guy with the halo) Has decided he's going to spread
the word of his lord, and despite the fact that he was born of rich
blood, he has taken a life of poverty and so on. So, here he is in his
barefeet, while his not to holy friend (guy without the halo) watches
him teach birds. *guy without the halo has sandals, so obviously is not
as religiously inclined as he*
2. Guy without the halo looks very much like a nun, but this is not confirmed anywhere.
3. St. Francis has decided that he is going to spread the word of his
lord *as I have mentioned*. However, he finds it increasingly difficult
to find people to listen to him. So, he resorts to birds. The look on
concentration on his face implies that he's not going to rest until the
birds known what there is to know.
4. The birds are to then go and spread the word given by St. Francis to
the rest of the world. much like Jesus and his Apostles. Jesus can't
talk to everyone at once, so he educates some of his friends and they
bear some of the weight for him.
5. St. Francis' hands: 1) one hand is open, palm up, implying that he
is receiving something, it's an open and trusting gesture. 2) The other
hand has three fingers extended while the pinkie is tucked neatly away.
This is the sign most preist use when making the cross - sign of the
6. The background is monochromatic, thus trying not to draw attention
from the real issue going on here. As well, his hands are silhouetted
in black - The only thing I can think of for this is that again, he was
trying to draw attention to the scene.
7. The birds are completely trtusting of him. They are at ease and they
are even touching his robe, which implies that they are in a trance by
St. Francis' words - as most birds are very scared and will not come
this close to any human.
This is what I see in this painting... however, I'm sure it's subject
to interpretation, as is most art. So, feel free to elaborate or